Monday, October 31, 2016

My Weight Journey

So I’ve decided to share some of my progress, as it were. I’ve said before that I don’t really like to do a progress report, play-by-play type of blog or facebook posts. I prefer to post it all at the end when I have the results. So yay! My progress right now is that I have lost 11 POUNDS! Some people would argue I’m sure that I didn’t need to lose weight. And they’re actually not exactly wrong. Not like I was super overweight or anything. It’s just been since I started my desk job, I’ve gone from active waitress to sedentary office worker. Didn’t change my eating habits at all from when I was more active, so that’s how that happened. At my heaviest I weighed 143 pounds, and I’m 5’5. Like I said, not huge, but it still bothered me. My clothes were all tight, and I didn’t feel good in my own skin. I did notice I was a little rounder in the face and I was losing my waistline. I know what I’m used to and I know what I like and when I’m not at my healthiest. Was also feeling more tired. So I decided to make a change. I went on the Ideal Protein diet, which worked really well for me. I’’ll attach a link below to their website if anyone wants to know more about it.



Basically, it’s very similar to a paleo diet. No rice, starchy vegetables like potatoes, no bread or pasta, no dairy, no fruit and NO SUGAR. I know that sounds horrible, but it isn’t that bad. I got to have things like chocolate shakes and maple oatmeal for breakfast, vegetarian chili and cream of broccoli soup for lunch, and chicken stir fry and steak with roasted cauliflower for dinner. Plus a snack like a chocolate bar or BBQ chips. They have a lot of the food pre packaged and you eat a lot of fresh vegetables. It only took about 1 and a half months for me to lose the weight.

So now I am down to 132 pounds, and I have about 5 more to go for me to be where I want to be. But I feel great! My pants fit me again and I’ve got my waist back. The other great thing that I noticed was that because I cut out the SUGAR, I have improved skin, energy and have lowered my yeast levels (if you’re a girl you’ll know how helpful that is!). Something surprising that I noticed during this diet was what I craved a missed food wise. Not pasta or mashed potatoes, but sugar! Which makes sense if you are on a no sugar diet. But I was still amazed with how much it impacted me. I’ve never been a real sugar person, more of a salt person, I don’t eat much chocolate or sweets or ice cream. I don’t even let pop in the house, and I recently stopped drinking juice except occasionally. So I was really surprised when I realized my biggest craving on this diet was sugary things. Cakes, cookies, muffins, chocolate bars, things I never had much interest in before suddenly looked so incredibly good to me. I always knew that sugar was bad for us, and that sugar was in everything, but I started to do more research. Boy is it really in everything! Ketchup, soy sauce, salad dressing, pasta sauce. Now mind you I did know some of this and don’t use too many condiments and try to cook mostly from scratch, but still! Think it’s those fries or cheeseburgers that are making you gain weight? Well they are but it’s likely sugar that’s the main culprit. I watched a couple of really incredible documentaries that explained it, which I will attach below.

I also started going to the gym 3 times a week, usually 2 days of cardio and weights and one day of yoga. The yoga is really the thing that is taking it to the next level, do I ever feel it the next day, but it is a great feeling, that achy sore feeling of knowing you gave your muscles a challenge. I’m not shredded or anything ….yet, but I do feel better. I’ve noticed I’ve been sleeping super hard lately, I think because the workouts just tire me out, but in a good way.

Since I’ve first gained weight, I’ve had a family member comment on my weight in a negative way (or rather that I perceived negatively!) That really surpised me because most people thought that I was a pretty good size just the way I was. Of course that statement did hurt my feelings a little, but in no way is it why I decided to lose weight and eat healthier. I did it for me. Instead of taking it personally, I decided to take a different approach and have it motivate me. Every time I was tired, and didn’t want to work out or wanted to cheat on my diet, I envisioned that family members face, telling me I was fat, or telling me I couldn’t do it. And I would plow right through and succeed! Not that I didn’t ever have any slip ups, but it sure helped encourage me.

Pictures of my transformation to follow!

 #1 - SUGAR COATED

#2 - Jamie Oliver 


#3 - FED UP


No comments:

Post a Comment