Wednesday, December 15, 2010

up to date

So much has happened the last couple weeks. Thankfully, I did end up finding a job; maybe not my dream one but it's a means to an end right now. I'm working for Executive waiter resources, which is basically an agency that contracts you out to work banquets and events at different hotels. If you work something like 200 or so hours for this agency, after that you can go work at any of the hotels if they want to hire you. It's actually a pretty sweet opportunity, because it's a good chance you will get hired at one of the hotels, because they have been getting to know you already. The wages are surprisingly good too, I know at the hotel I was at last weekend, that the banquet staff average 19$ an hour. It is hard work, I have to say, but you get treated fair, eat for free, and get 30 min breaks. It's also good just working at the agency. You don't get as much per hour as you would being a permanent hotel employee, but you pretty much get to work on your own schedule. I phone the agency at the beginning of each week and tell them my availability and then they pen my shifts in. This is also good if you have another permanent job, which I still plan on getting. But this is a good start right now, I work all weekend, which I am happy to do. So yes of course this means that I am no longer at Fiasco. Soon, there will no longer be a Fiasco, thus the not working there. A little sad, but the risk you take opening a new restaurant.
I will be taking this next semester off from school to work and concentrate on life, basically. There's just a few things I feel I need to focus on in my life right now, and I need as much free time as possible to do that. I do feel that in the long run it will turn out to be a positive experience. I am wanting to save some money for travelling, school, loans and other things, which are all paramount to my happiness right now. This is a good thing, and I am looking forward to it!
One little sad thing; my daddy got into a car accident 2 weeks ago. He is ok, a little bruised and banged up, but not too bad considering. They say his nose is fractured/broken, so they will need to repair it soon. But my dad has had his nose broken quite a few times, so I know he is tough and can handle it. At the moment he is generally quite sore all over, which is normal after an accident. I told him he can expect to feel like that for awhile, the body likes to have a delayed reaction to these things for whatever reason. So of course I am beyond happy that he is okay; it sure puts things in perspective though. We so easily take both our lives and our loved ones for granted. It could have been so much worse, and thank God that it wasn't. But it only takes a minute to lose a loved one, if nothing else if made me want to be there more with the people I care about.
In addition, when my dad got into this accident, he crashed from head on and totalled his car/truck hybrid. I know this may sound silly, but both my sister and I were really sad when we heard this; we know how much my dad loved that car. Being a mechanic, he pimped it out, if you can imagine a 72 year old man, "pimping" anything, lol!It was his baby, he was always fixing and tinkering with it. He's had it at least since I was 12, it's sort of like his calling card. He was never going to sell that thing, and now it's just gone. Like I said, it may seem like such a frivolous thing to be upset about since he got in a bad accident. It's just we know how much it meant to him, and we know he will miss it a lot. It was his car baby. I think at some point later on I will write a lil blog about it, and give more explanation. I actually have some wonderful memories of that car, and will post pics. It was a very unique vehicle, no one's ever seen one like it.
Today, I am planning on staying home, chilling, and maybe putting up the tree! Tis the season and I really feel like getting in the mood. Nothing does that better than putting up the tree and maybe doing some holiday baking. In addition to that, I am looking for a new roommate for january first, so I've posted an ad on craigslist, and will be planning a viewing for sometime in the next 3 days. So I'm being kept busy with that. It is a little stressful, worrying that you will find someone, and find someone good, but I know it will happen. It's the 15th today, so I still have time, I just like to be prepared and not have it left to the last minute.
So it's been an interesting week, but things are starting to look up, I think. I have a reliable job again, and all my loved ones are alive and well. Everything after that is a bonus in my books!

1 comment:

  1. Laleh, I heard about uncle Ali's accident. I'm so grateful he is okay. Head on collisions are so high risk so him not having any major injuries is a huge blessing. I know that car was very sentimental for him so I look forward to reading your upcoming blog and seeing photos. So cute that you have memories of that car since you were 12. I am sure he would appreciate it, if you made like a nice collage of the car or something like that for him to honor the memories. So glad you found a good temp job that you are happy at. Take good care of yourself. Lots of love:) Shadi and Vanesa